Thursday, October 1, 2009

Speaking about the 1890s in an 1894 building . . .

Was thrilled to see the sign outside the Bishopsgate Institute that my lecture was sold out!  Wonderful Victorian building, of which I am given a tour by Lucy, who has corresponded with me for several months about my lecture.  The Institute has served as a learning and cultural center for over 100 years.  The halls are decorated with beautiful Art Nouveau tiles, and there is a gorgeous library being renovated.  The audience for my lecture is composed of men and women in a wide age span -- they ahve very good questions about social class and how professional opportunities varied for women of different backgrounds.  I was pleased with how the evening went -- but also know how I can tailor the next lecture to give more equitably-spaced attention to each of the women covered in my book.  More adventures in London tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment